a. General Licence
A licence for people aged 16 years and over to drive any vessel except a PWC at 10 knots or more.
b. General Young Adult Licence
This is a restricted licence for those aged from 12 to under 16 years.
A Young Adult Licensee must:
* be accompanied by the holder of a General Licence when travelling at 10 knots or more
* never exceed 20 knots
* never travel at 10 knots or more after sunset and before sunrise
* never travel at 10 knots or more when towing an aquaplaner
* never tow a water skier
* not drive in any race, display, regatta or exhibition without prior consent from the NSW Maritime Authority
* never operate a PWC unless the holder of a Young Adult PWC Licence
c. Personal Watercraft (PWC) Licence
A special licence is required to ride a PWC regardless of what speed it is driven. To obtain a PWC licence, the test for a General Licence must be passed first. Additional test questions must then be passed to upgrade to a PWC licence. Persons who hold a general licence can upgrade to a PWC licence at any time by passing these additional questions.
Click here http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boating/pwc_no.html for essential information on PWC operations.
d. Young Adult Licence
For those aged from 12 to under 16 years who wish to drive a PWC. The same conditions which apply to the General Young Adult licence apply for this licence.
e. Commercial Qualifications
Special certificates of competency are required to take charge of vessels used for commercial purposes. To obtain these qualifications you will need to have good records of your boating experience, complete approved training courses and meet minimum medical and eyesight standards. Further details can be obtained by contacting the NSW Maritime marine certification section http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/cv/safe_crew.html on (02) 9563 8767.
Drivers of commercial vessels operating at 10 knots or more must have their certificate of competency endorsed with either a General or PWC Licence.
Boating Safety Course (BSC) General
Test Fee (including young adult)
One Year Licence
One Year Concession Licence
One Year Young Adult Licence
Under 6 months Young Adult Licence
Three Year Licence
Three Year Concession Licence
Five Year Licence
Five Year Concession Licence
Other Licence Fees
Licence Test Fee (PWC upgrade)
Details and fees are subject to change and should be confirmed with NSW Maritime by viewing their web page at www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/fees.html or telephone (02) 9563 8511.
Need More Information?
Further information is available by contacting the NSW Maritime Authority as follows:
* Info Line on 13 12 56 (8.30am - 4.30pm, 7 days a week) or (02) 9563 8557 for areas not covered by NSW telephone exchange
* Your local NSW Maritime Authority Centre
* Visit the NSW Maritime Authority web site www.maritime.nsw.gov.au or email email@example.com